Friday, September 28, 2012

Just a minute. Only sixty seconds in it.


Day, n. A period of twenty-four hours, mostly misspent.

I will talk about Oktoberfest. At some point on this blog I will, I promise, but when a topic comes rushing into your head you do not simply ignore it. *Insert Internet Lord of the Rings Meme Here* Tomorrow is my last day of language school and inevitably my last weekend in Cologne. I am so glad to have spent these two months learning German, meeting great people, exploring new lands and finding as much about myself as possible. But still, I can't help but feel like it always goes by too fast. Where did these two months really go? If only I could recall every day, hour, minute, second I would understand where the heck my September went. Wouldn't that be great? To have like a recording of your life, you could replay all the great memories, fast forward through the boring or painful parts, and really soak up the intimacies of one's life. 

There are so many things that I still have to do in Cologne and I haven't the time to do them. Where did all those days wasted away doing nothing? Where are those hours I drained away watching tv or reading books when I should have been out exploring as much as I could? I would say there is something refreshing about not doing everything in a city, it leaves something to come back and do, and fortunately Münster isn't far (about an hour and 45 minutes north of Cologne) but what a waste. 

I like to believe I have a photographic memory, but can I trade my Powershot in for a Sony PMW-EX1?  

In all seriousness, this has been such an amazing two months of my life & I'm sure the next couple days will be an epic conclusion, but I just need to get it out here because I don't want to forget these thoughts. 

Basketball, Indian Food, Constant Jokes, Broken German, Slightly Less Broken German, Comprehendible German, Language School, An Awesome Teacher, Moshing, Deep Conversations, Beer Pong with Swiss Roommate, Complaining about Late Trains, Ping pong, Soccer, Volleyball, NFL in Germany, "Chody P," Brunch, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Bonn, King's Cup at Jesse's, Oktoberfest. Pressing in Lara's Nose, Playing "Klaus" with Gaurav, Dexter & I being Dexter & I, Having my First Heart to Heart with Caitlin, Tearing apart Germans in Basketball with Jesse, Trying to learn Salsa dancing from the in-house Professional Robi, Arguing With My Ultimate-Life-Long Nemisi Michelle. 

And all the other countless things i did with some really invaluable friends.

That was only a small fraction of the things I could thing of, mainly the ones that mean a significant thing to me or stood out in my mind for one reason or another. I'm so glad to be leaving because after visiting on Monday, I've learned that Münster is a simply wonderful city and my host family is amazing but I will be leaving some great new friends behind, a great experience learning the language, and a comfort zone I've created around myself.

But I suppose that's what life is about right? Adjusting to new and exciting experiences. Everyone remembers when they did something uncomfortable for the first time only to see how lovely it would grow to be. I think that's what's happened in Cologne. Of course I've tested the waters of this German living thing before and I loved it, this time is no different in the loving aspect but I am so amazed at how everything has come to a blur at the end. 

Tomorrow I will try and do as many things as I can in the time I have left and maybe I'll write another short blog post like this one. Trying to get six before the month's end. 

I like uniformity. Lucky you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment